Why Do First Impressions Count When Selling Your Home?
Some of you may already know this, when it comes to meeting new people, we decide within the first 10 seconds if we like someone or not.
The same is true when looking at houses. Sometimes you will decide if you like a house or not as soon as you pull up outside.
But since we live inside our homes and not outside, we are willing to overlook certain aspects of the outside if the inside is more in line with what we are looking for.
Most of the time you will walk into a house and know immediately if you love it or not. You may not know why you feel this way exactly but you do know that something is not working for you.
Here are my 5 tips to organising and dressing your home that will improve that all important first impression when selling your home.
1. Make sure that your home is spotless - Clean the entire house from top to bottom. Pay close attention to the kitchen and bathrooms and if the job is too big consider hiring a cleaner for a few hours. a professional cleaner charges around $40 per hour but it will be money well spent if they make your home gleam.
2. Remove clutter - Too much furniture and nick knacks can be overwhelming. Sometimes it's difficult for buyers to see through the clutter when inspecting a house, so make it as easy as possible for them to see the house and not your collection of frog figurines. Too much clutter can make a house look small and messy. But don't go overboard and remove everything, you don't want your house to look like no one lives there either.
3. Don't forget about furniture - Most Buyers don't have great imagination and find it difficult to imagine how they would place furniture in an empty room. If you don't have enough furniture, consider renting some, this will be a worthwhile investment.
4. Cohesive Decor - Pick one accent colour in cushions, throws and decorative pieces. Select a colour that works with your furniture and that will also look good on photos. Be brave, you need to make your house stand out from all the rest.
5. Light and Airy - We have all heard this term used so many times but it's true. Buyers like the light and airy feeling so open all your curtains and blinds. Turn on ALL the Lights even on a sunny day, open some windows and let the fresh air in so there are no stale smells lingering.
And remember you are trying to sell your house, so decorate to sell and not necessarily to your taste.
The below before and after photos show just how simple it can be to transform a room without changing or updating your furniture. With just a few cushions and lighting this Living Room looks much more inviting and has warmth.
If you are preparing to put your home on the market, now is the right time to consult with MKG Interior Design.
I can assess and advise exactly what needs to be done to make your home stand out and be appealing to prospective buyers, what you need to remove and what you should keep. Working with your existing furniture or organising rented furniture if required, I can dress your home so it makes the right impression.
Maybe your home needs a coat of paint, I can assist you with choosing just the right wall colour to work with your decor without alienating any prospective buyers.
Some improvements can take a bit of time so now's the time to get started, call MKG Interior Design to book an On-site 'Getting Ready To Sell' Consultation. I know all the tricks to create the right look without breaking the bank.
With this service you will sell you home fast and for the best pricer!